Sunday, January 6, 2008

Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness...Psalm 143:8


My absolute favorite Psalm is Psalm 143. It is a wonderful 12 verses. I read it over and over, especially when I feel overwhelmed with life or sad or just not myself.

For this post I want to direct you to Psalm 143:8...."Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee."

I like to think of this verse before I go to bed at night so I can try to remember it when I wake up in the morning. It seems like I wake up with the best of intentions. Today, I am going to have a great day. I'm not going to let the world get me down. I'm going to be kind to others and smile at every person I see. Well I do pretty good right up until I get out of bed! If the morning is hectic because the kids won't wake up or my daughter is whiny and cries over every little thing, it seems like my whole day is ruined. Why is that? I believe it's Satan. He knows that when I get stressed it's difficult for me to put God in front and follow Him. A hectic morning is a great way to get me off my intended path.

After I heard God's lesson for me through my trial last week, I created a new morning routine. I had to call on my mother for help because I'm not a morning person. She calls and wakes me up at 5 a.m. I read my bible and pray for 20 minutes. Then I work out to a Leslie Sansone walking video for 30 minutes and do 50 or more ab crunches. Then by 6:00 I get myself ready for work. It takes me about 20 or 30 minutes to get ready since I shower at night. I don't need a shower after my workout because I only do the 2 mile walk. By 6:30 I'm completely ready for my day and I can attempt to wake up the kids. If my daughter is a little whiny, that's okay. I can sit with her on the couch and sing to her or get her attention to the Disney channel. I also have time to tell my teenage son about 50 times to get up and get in the shower. By the time my daughter is awake and dressed her mood is much better and she watches t.v. while she eats breakfast. This allows me to make our lunches and get my stuff ready to go.

All of this to say, where's Satan in all of this? Well he's knocking but I can't hear him. I have the word of God in my heart fresh from my morning reading. I have gotten up early enough to avoid being late and stressing over the little things that come along the way.

If you are having a stressful time in your day that seems to ruin the rest of the day, stop for a minute and think how you might reorganize and fit God in for a few minutes. It's been such a blessing for me.

Plus, I'm exercising. I always thought the people that say you have more energy when you exercise sounded so crazy. But I can honestly say it's true. Even though I'm getting up at 5 a.m. I feel great!

I encourage you to read Psalm 143. In the beginning the Psalmist is sad and desperate but towards the middle he begins to reach for God and his tone changes to positive and strong. I love it!

God Bless

Monica

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind James 4:7.."Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."..There is only one Satan, and many more of us. He will grow weary of trying to bring you down. And God has told us he will flee, so just hold to your new routine and things will be fine.